Thursday, July 06, 2006

When Insults Had Class


Longstanding Joshua's army member Joyce C. sent this gem in over the turnstiles for our amusement:

"He has all the virtues I dislike
and none of the vices I admire."
- Winston Churchill

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about." - Winston Churchill


"I have never killed a man, but I have read
many obituaries with great pleasure."
- Clarence Darrow


"He has never been known to use a word that
might send a reader to the dictionary."
- William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)


"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big
emotions come from big words?"
; - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)


"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book;
I'll waste no time reading it."
- Moses Hadas


"He can compress the most words into the
smallest idea of any man I know."
- Abraham Lincoln


"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.
But this wasn't it."
- Groucho Marx


"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a
nice letter saying I approved of it."
- Mark Twain


"He has no enemies, but is intensely
disliked by his friends."
- Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of
my new play, bring a friend... if you have one."
- George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill


"Cannot possibly attend first night,
will attend second... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in reply



And just for giggles, a couple of my own favorites:

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room."
- Sir Winston Churchill

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx

1 comment:

Joe Gringo said...

Funny!

“He is a self-made man & worships his creator.”
John Bright