Thursday, July 10, 2008

Marine Sees Birth Of Son - From 6,000 Miles Away



This one
made me smile, indeed.

Marine Lance Corporal Michael Cintron was in Iraq, 6,000 miles away from Maimonedes Medical Center in Brooklyn ,but he got a peek at his newborn baby son before his wife did, thanks to a video hookup.

"Hi, I'm your daddy," Cintron announced to his minutes-old son. "Look, your nose is squishy."

In a remarkable four-hour Web cast from a maternity ward at Maimonides Medical Center, mom Jeannine Cintron's delivery of son Michael James Cintron was beamed clear across ocean and land to his 26-year-old father in Iraq.

The baby weighed in at 7 pounds, 3 ounces and the new dad weighed in with a fatherly shriek: "Look! He's looking at me!" (..)

The video conference was initiated by a nonprofit organization called Freedom Calls, which arranged with Maimonides for covering little Michael's birth.

The proud parents were still in a state of disbelief Wednesday, not only about the birth of their first child, but the electronic wizardry that gave dad a real-time maternity-room experience.

"This is surreal," Jeannine said. "I didn't expect this. I feel so blessed. There are so many women in my situation that don't have this.

"I didn't know what I was in for," she added. "It's only my first baby.

"Pretty much throughout my entire pregnancy, I was most sad about doing it [birth] by myself," she went on. "Delivering by myself was horrifying. No, he couldn't hold my hand, but he was there for hours."


This miracle of modern technology was arranged by a nonprofit organization called Freedom Calls, which arranged coverage of the baby's birth with the hospital. Absolutely amazing.

Joshua's Army offers hearty congratulations to the new parents, best wishes for Dad, Mom and Michael Jr.'s continued good health and well being and prayers for Lance Corporal Cintron's successful completion of his mission and his safe return to his family.

To donate to the Freedom Calls Foundation, visit www.freedomcalls.org



1 comment:

SuperRaizy said...

That is such a great story!