Wednesday, April 02, 2014
Abbas Lies, And Kerry Backs Him Up On It
The fallout from Mahmoud Abbas' decision to abrogate the conditions of the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks continues, even though everyone but our clueless secretary of state seems to realize that the talks are now as dead as a cluster of the secretary's facial muscles hit with a fresh dose of Botox.
After Abbas canceled his scheduled meeting with Kerry (and yes, it was Abbas, rather than Kerry who made the call as opposed to what's being reported), the unelected dictator of Palestine added insult to injury by publicly televising his signing of applications to join UN bodies. The next morning, Palestinian Authority Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki handed the letters to UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Robert Serry and to representatives from Switzerland and the Netherlands.
The original agreement was that Abbas, would suspend Palestinian membership applications to the UN,it's agencies and international treaties in exchange for 104 convicted Palestinian murderers in Israeli custody and that the negotiations would continue until April 29th of this year.
Once the initial shipment of killers was received in Ramallah to a hero's welcome by Abbas, that's pretty much where any negotiations stopped. While there was a fair amount of engagement and discussion on the Israeli side as two more shipment of terrorists were delivered, there were literally no concessions by Abbas and the PLO, and Abbas said repeatedly that there would never be any. He refused to recognize Israel as a Jewish State, refused out of hand to acknowledge that the right to swamp Israel with 'refugees' was off the table, demanded that half of Jerusalem and the control of the Jewish sites be turned over to the Palestinians and even refused commit to a signed peace agreement being the end of the conflict.
When the Israelis finally realized that Abbas had no intention of coming to any realistic agreement and refused to commit to Kerry's frame work extending the deadline for negotiations,Israel understood that they had simply released three shipments of killers with Israeli blood on their hands for nothing. And that Abbas was simply going to go to the UN once the April 29th deadline ran out anyway. So they made the rational decision not to send shipment number four, although with Kerry's arm twisting they did agree to release the last bunch and make other concessions provided Abbas committed to extending the eeadline for talks until December 29th.
Abbas and the Palestinians turned it down flat, and decided to go ahead and do what chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat admitted they were always going to do anyway - breach the agreement and head for the UN.
According to Abbas, this didn't mean he was walking away from the talks. He had Yasser Abed Rabbo, Arafat's former Goebbels and now the secretary-general of the Palestine Liberation Organization make a statement that of course, the PLO would continue to negotiate until April 29th. The fact that the Palestinians refuse to negotiate anything at all? Well, that's secondary,isn't it? And these organizations and conventions we're signing are , you know, just a formality.
Secretary Kerry certainly tried go along with the PLO party line to keep things in play. Yesterday, as the news of what Abbas had done broke, Kerry took the opportunity of a press conference in Brussels to flat out deny that any of the 15 agencies where Abbas applied are affiliated with the UN.And of course, he and his team were hard at work on the situation.
“Let me make it absolutely clear: None of the agencies that President Abbas signed tonight involve the UN. None of them,” Kerry said. “And President Abbas has given his word to me that he will keep his agreement and that he intends to negotiate through the end of the month of April.”
Except, of course, Abbas has already broken hs word numerous times. And the agencies are mostly affiliated directly with the UN, something Kerry has to have known. While most of these have innocuous sounding names, they're designed to conduct demonization and lawfare against Israel, in a forum that is decidedly biased against it. And John Kerry has to have known that too. You have to wonder why he even bothered telling such a transparent falsehood.
Here's a list:
• The Four Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 and the First Additional Protocol (designed to be a forum to accuse Israel of phony human rights violations. Also it gives 'Palestine'access to the International Criminal Court(ICC) to lodge complaints against Israel )
• The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations
• The Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (Both Vienna conventions are designed to facilitate upgrades in 'Palestinian' diplomatic status)
• The Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the Involvement of Children in armed conflict (trust me, this one isn't going to be used to investigate or pass resolutions against Hamas for using children as human shields, against Palestinian terrorists for using mortars against a school bus or those infamous PLO 'summer camps)
• The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (why this UN body would admit a 'country' where sharia discriminates against women and honor killings are common is beyond me, but it's the UN)
• The Hague Convention (IV) respecting the (IV) respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land
('Hey. let's accuse the IDF of war crimes. Think of the headlines!' )
• The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
• The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
• The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination ('Let's accuse Israel of ra-aa-acism!')
• The Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (this one is self evident - and of course, no one is going to have a qualm about admitting a member where torture imprisonment for political opposition and extrajudicial killings are common)
• The United Nations Convention against Corruption (the idea of Abbas, the PLO and 'Palestine' being part of this is hilarious)
• The Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide ( Do Senior PA official Jibril Rajoub's remarks and what is pushed in Palestine's mosques, school and media count?)
• The International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid ( Abbas: I will not allow a single Jew in Palestine)
• The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (again a real knee slapper coming from an unelected dictator who's in year ten of a four year term)
• The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights ('Jews have no right to Jerusalem!')
No, not nearly as innocent as John Kerry would have us believe. Essentially, this is a diplomatic declaration of war, to be coupled, of course,with increased terrorist assaults on Israel's civilians.Aside from killing Jews, that has the additional benefit to the Palestinians of providing useful material for the above groups when Israel inevitably retaliates to protect its citizens.
From the Israeli side, the solution to all this is so obvious it's almost painful. Finish the divorce.
Declare the talks over and Oslo null and void. Delineate your own borders, including all of Area C, the Jordan Valley, and the relevant parts of Area B and annex them, making them part of Israel. Move all Israeli citizens to Israel's side of these borders, and all non-Israeli citizens to 'Palestine', perhaps with compensation for property.
Fully announce your intention publicly to defend these borders so that both Fatah, Hamas and any other interested parties know that the days of 'proportional response' are a thing of the past.
And most of all, build up the land. Let a thousand bulldozers sing and dance.
That's how a normal country acts, instead of living in a constant defensive crouch.