The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week's Watcher's Council match up.
"Yes, death to the Great Satan" - Ayatollah Khomeini leading crowds in anti-American chants just over a week ago.
"Peace is purchased from strength. It's not purchased from weakness or unilateral retreats." - Benyamin Netanyahu
"If he being Young And Unskillful seeks to gamble for silver and gold/ Take his money my son praising Allah! The fool was made to be sold! -Renowned Persian poet Hafiz, 14th century CE
I believe Herr Hitler is a man whose word can be relied on." - Neville Chamberlain, 1938
This week's winning essay by a nose,Joshuapundit's -Munich II examines President Obama's so-called 'framework' of his nuclear agreement with Iran. As we nowknow, our president was not exactly being honest with the American people in that speech in the Rose Garden! So what's the actual motivation behind his apparent desperation to achieve some kind of deal..something the Iranians are happily taking advantage of. Here's a slice:
President Barack Hussein Obama announced yesterday that a deal - ooops, a 'framework for a deal' had been achieved with Iran on its illegal nuclear program.
Here's what the president said the components of this unwritten, unsigned framework were.
First of all, he claimed that the reactor at Iran's heavy water facility at Arak will be dismantled so the Iranians cannot produce plutonium, a second route to nuclear weapons.He also claimed that nuclear material from Arak would be shipped out of Iran, that Iran would not build a new heavy water reactor and that Iran will not reprocess fuel from its existing reactors ever.
Second, he claimed that the Iranians agreed that its centrifuges would be reduced by two thirds, and that Iran will not enrich uranium with its advanced centrifuges for at least the next 10 years. He also said that Iran would no longer enrich uranium at its top secret military facility at Fordow. and that there would be severe limits on Iran's stockpiling of the materials needed to build a nuclear weapon.
He said there would be limits on Iran's nuclear program, research and development for a decade and that Iran would never be allowed to build a nuclear weapon.
He also claimed that current sanctions would be gradually phased out in accordance with Iranian compliance, that Iran would face intense inspections and scrutiny, and that if if was found cheating, the UN would slap massive sanctions back on Iran.
There's not a single statement in the above four paragraphs that's true, and that comes from no less than Iran's own Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, who supposedly agreed to all this in the last minute negotiations at Lausanne:
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif accused the Obama administration of misleading the American people and Congress in a fact sheet it released following the culmination of negotiations with the Islamic Republic.
Zarif bragged in an earlier press conference with reporters that the United States had tentatively agreed to let it continue the enrichment of uranium, the key component in a nuclear bomb, as well as key nuclear research.
Zarif additionally said Iran would have all nuclear-related sanctions lifted once a final deal is signed and that the country would not be forced to shut down any of its currently operating nuclear installations. [...]
Zarif, echoing previous comments, said the United States has promised an immediate termination of sanctions.
“Iran/5+1 Statement: ‘US will cease the application of ALL nuclear-related secondary economic and financial sanctions.’ Is this gradual?” he wrote on Twitter.
He then suggested a correction: “Iran/P5+1 Statement: ‘The EU will TERMINATE the implementation of ALL nuclear-related economic and financial sanctions’. How about this?”
On Thursday evening, Zarif told reporters the latest agreement allows Iran to keep operating its nuclear program.
“None of those measures” that will move to scale back Iran’s program “include closing any of our facilities,” Zarif said. “We will continue enriching; we will continue research and development.”
“Our heavy water reactor will be modernized and we will continue the Fordow facility,” Zarif said. “We will have centrifuges installed in Fordow, but not enriching.”
The move to allow Iran to keep centrifuges at Fordow, a controversial onetime military site, has elicited concern that Tehran could ramp up its nuclear work with ease.
The scrutiny and inspections, of course, can be relied on to tell us everything we need to know about Iran's nuclear program, right? Because the Iranians would never try to hide that sort of thing from us, and can be relied on not to cheat
As for the president's threat of renewed sanctions, just like his promises on ObamaCare he is knowingly lying to the American people. It took two years to put together the sanctions regimen in the UN. Now that Obama has essentially dismantled it, it isn't going to happen again, certainly not in time to be of any use. Russia will see to that.
And here perhaps is the most chilling statement Zarif made:
Zarif also revealed that Iran will be allowed to sell “enriched uranium” in the international market place and will be “hopefully making some money” from it.
Can you imagine whom a regime that is the major supporter of Islamist terrorism like Iran is likely to sell nuclear materials and know how to? Iran itself obtained quite a bit from Pakistan's notorious AQ Khan when he was running what amounted to a cash and carry supermarket for this sort of merchandise. What Iran is obviously planning will make what Khan did look minor.
President Obama claims that this 'framework' agreement is a good deal. In reality, all it does is give Iran another three which gives Iran another three months to work on its nuclear weapons technology in exchange for...absolutely nothing specific. Instead of leading to reduced nuclear proliferation, it will increase it, since countries like Egypt and Saudi Arabia are under no illusions as to what this means.
This goes beyond mere appeasement. President Obama and John Kerry are enabling a nuclear armed Iran.
All other things aside, this president and his team are allowing a murderous regime that has sworn to destroy Israel on numerous occasions the tools to attempt a second Holocaust. And there's no question in my mind that this is deliberate.
The moron prog think tank response to this is that the Iranians are rational actors whom would never do this, because of the risk of retaliation by Israel. Let's see what the founder of the regime, the Ayatollah Khomeini had to say about that:
"We do not worship Iran, we worship Allah. For patriotism is another name for paganism. I say let this land [Iran] burn. I say let this land go up in smoke, provided Islam emerges triumphant in the rest of the world."
The Iranians have continued to promise to destroy Israel since 1978 when Khomeini took over. That goal has never changed.
Neither has their goal of destroying America.
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, we had a tie between Mark Steyn –Let Them Bake Cake submitted by The Noisy Room and Matt Continetti/ Free Beacon – Benghazi, Bergdahl, and the Bomb submitted by The Watcher.
I loved both, but Steyn gets the nod this week.
Here are this week’s full results. Only Ask Marion and The Independent Sentinel were unable to vote this week, but were not subject to the 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 3 votes!–Joshuapundit-Munich II
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Bookworm Room – We’ve raised the “sheeple generation,” because today’s kids wouldn’t dream of questioning authority
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Razor – Iran Nuke Talks 2015
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Right Planet – The Clenched Fist—Revisiting Golitsyn’s Predictions
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Don Surber – What they are not saying about Angie's List boycotting Indiana
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –The Noisy Room – Russia - Heating Up The Cold War On The Road To World War III
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Nice Deb – Video: Obama Slams “Less than Loving” Christians As Christian Genocide Continues Throughout the World
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –VA Right! - VA-12 Senate Race: The ‘Stolle Follies’
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote –The Independent Sentinel – Terrorist Advocate, NYC Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito Moves Ahead With Illegal Immigration
- First place with 2 1/3 votes! –Mark Steyn –Let Them Bake Cake submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – Matt Continetti/ Free Beacon – Benghazi, Bergdahl, and the Bomb submitted by The Watcher
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Sultan Knish –The culture War We're In submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –Victor Davis Hanson – The Drought: California Apocalypto submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Elliott Abrams – 'Messing' with Israel submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote - Real Clear Defense – How Iran Would Go to War against America submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Jay Caruso/Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – 5 Ways Rand Paul Will Shake Up the GOP Primary submitted by Don Surber
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Naomi Schaefer/New York Post-Facts matter: Left sticks to ‘narratives,’ evidence be damned submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Daniel Pipes -Decoding The Obama Doctrine submitted by Nice Deb
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Adam Silverman/Sic Semper Tyrannis – A Few Additional Thoughts on the Saudi/Gulf Cooperation Council Intervention in Yemen submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Politically Short – America's 5th Column submitted by The Right Planet
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Patterico's Pontifications – Yes, Sally Kohn, Laws Are Coercive submitted by Rhymes with Right
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks' nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher's Council content.
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter..’cause we’re cool like that, y'know?