Yes, once again, It's time to present this week's statuette of shame, The Golden Weasel!!
Every Tuesday, the Council nominates some of the slimiest, most despicable characters in public life for some deed of evil, cowardice or corruption they’ve performed. Then we vote to single out one particular Weasel for special mention, to whom we award the statuette of shame, our special, 100% plastic Golden Weasel. This week's nominees were all disgusting (aren't they always?) but I have to say I would have bet money on whom I thought would carry off the prize this week..the envelope please...
The Internal Revenue Service, AKA 'Them ##@#!! Revenooers!'
Don Surber : This outraged me:
The IRS did not fire those federal employees who did not pay all their taxes. The IRS gave them promotions.
From the Wall Street Journal:
IRS reform legislation adopted in 1998 said that the agency must fire any employee who violates tax laws, unless the agency decides to soften the punishment.
The new report found that over a 10-year period starting in 2003, 1,580 IRS employees were found to be willfully non-compliant with tax laws. Of that total, 620 or 39% were terminated, resigned or retired. The remaining 61% got lesser penalties such as suspensions, reprimands or counseling.
Specific violations included overstatement of expenses, claiming of a first-time home buyer tax credit without buying a home, and failure to timely file tax returns. Some employees had “significant and sometimes repeated tax noncompliance issues, and a history of other conduct issues,” according to the report.
Under President Obama, federal taxes no longer are collected to run the federal government. The politicians run it on borrowed money, and taxes collected to punish his political foes, such a the Tea Party.
Yes, they've become a law unto themselves all right. And as our pal William Palumbo remarked, they've become weaponized now, like a lot of other government organizations for the first time in history. Are they planning on going to war against their own people? Or merely just ensuring they can continue to plunder them at will?
Not that I need an answer to that question, not with a member of the IRS sitting here in front of us. We're proud to honor a department of government that behaves with the standards the IRS exhibits with its own special Weasel. Here's your statuette, sir, and I hope all of you down at the audit department enjoy it.The exit's over there.
Well, there it is!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks' nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher's Council content.
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter..’cause we’re cool like that, y'know?