Monday, May 14, 2018

Forum: Have You Ever Had A Dream Come True?



Every Monday, the WoW! community and our invited guests weigh in at the Watcher's Forum, short takes on a major issue of the day, the culture, or daily living. This week's question: Have You Ever Had A Dream Come True?

Doug Hagin: I have been in love and, well am still single, so that sums up how those dreams turned out. I would add, however, that my niece has been a blessing which is unmatched. So, no complaints.

Puma By Design: Have I ever had a dream come true?

Let’s see here. Where do I begin?

My response is likely not in the sense that the question may have been posed but yes, I have had dreams come true, a few of which I wished would not have.

There was a time that I would rather not see what’s coming until I accepted the fact that God has a way of preparing us in advance for what is heading our way, good or bad. Acceptance, faith and prayer diminished the dread and may have even played a role in how events later transpired.

Since today is Mother’s Day, what continues to come to mind is a dream that I had nearly 40 years ago.

While sleeping, imagine suddenly finding oneself sitting up in bed in a room surrounded by light and clouds (no I wasn’t drinking). A door opens, two strangers enter each holding a child swathed in white cloth. In the background, one hears the melody, “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”

It is at this point that one of the strangers turning toward me hands me a baby bundled up in a light blue blanket with the shape of a lion made of blue satin sewn into the blanket. I recall thinking to myself, “A baby boy. This is my son.”

The following morning, I told my husband about the dream and that we were going to have a baby. This would be our first. Several months later, that dream would become a reality. Cool right? Except God forgot to warn me about the 5 ½ months of morning sickness. Ugh!

I told everyone for nine months that I was having a boy. People thought I was nuts or assumed I had a sonogram. I did not and when I looked upon my son for the first time, I recognized him as the baby in my dream.

I never discussed the blanket or the melody in my dream but when we arrived home from the hospital, my sister gave us a musical baby lamb that she had purchased from Hallmark. When wound up, the musical lamb, as it slowly moved its head from left to right and back again, played a soft melody of “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”

A few weeks later, my husband’s aunt gave us a beautiful baby blanket. It was blue and had a lion made of blue satin sown into the blanket.

I gave the lamb to my sister some years later when she had her first child. As for the blanket, my son brought my grandson home from the hospital 12 years ago wrapped in the blue blanket.

I can’t end this without saying that my son was the first male born on my side of the family in 28 years and the first male born on my husband’s side of the family in 32.

Today is Mother’s Day, one of those holidays during which I reflect on such moments.

David Schuler: No. My dreams have all fallen flat.

Despite so many ordeals, my advanced age and the nobility of my soul make me conclude that all is well.

Rob Miller: Yes, definitely. Although sometimes not exactly the way I expected! Case in point...my dream from the first time I picked up a guitar (I was maybe 10 years old) and heard that lovely sound was to be a musician, and given the times, that progressed to the dream of being a real rockn'roll star.

Well, that one came true, sorta. I learned to play pretty well, was able to make a decent living playing, got to tour and to experience that life style and indulge in some of the usual fantasies guys have about that sort of thing to a certain degree. I also met a number of wonderful people as well as some real jerks, and like that old country song says, I've got my stories to tell. But the catch was that I had to put up with playing music I didn't particularly care for the majority of the time. I was, in effect, a hired hand which was not exactly what I had dreamed of. Eventually it got pretty stale.

I also dreamed of having a true love, a woman who would love me for myself and be my life's partner. That one happened, although not in the way I expected and certainly not at a time when I was looking for it. I'm still married to my beloved today, and she also gave me wonderful children, another dream I had that came true.

My dream of having my own business and being independent came true as well. After I got sick and tired of playing on commercials for used car lots, supermarkets and such, I went through a series of jobs and experienced what a lot of people do, that feeling of being tied down and under someone's thumb without making the money I wanted to. After getting fired from the last of these, I befriended an Israeli contractor who was working on my house and got him a couple of jobs. He referred me to another Israeli friend of his who had a mortgage business and told me it was commission only, but maybe I could make some money. Real Estate and mortgages was the last thing I planned on doing, but after I closed my first deal and got that first commission check, I realized that I could make a living at it and that Israeli broker became one of my mentors, teaching me the business.After 3 years with him I realized it was time to take my shot, got my broker's license and set up my own RE business. As nervous as I was in the beginning, it worked out quite well.

Were there dreams I had that didn't come true? You betcha. But overall, the Almighty has blessed me and given me what I really needed and seen to it that I didn't obtain the stuff I thought I wanted that wouldn't have been so good for me at all. I'd be embarrassed to tell you what some of that was! And He also blessed me by having me work for what I wanted.

Bookworm Room: I have never had a dream come true but, as I get older, I’ve learned to view the blessings in my life as if they were dreams come true — which is pretty much the same thing, isn’t it?

Laura Rambeau Lee:Interesting question since as far back as I can remember I’ve not been much of a dreamer. To be honest I never had much time to dream. Becoming a divorced single mom of a two year old daughter at the age of twenty-five, I set my sights on raising my daughter and improving our lives setting one goal at a time, meeting that goal, and setting the next. I had attained a modicum of success in my career, my daughter had graduated high school and was attending college, and I had resigned myself to the possibility of remaining single for the rest of my life. Then I met my future husband, who had been widowed at the age of forty-two. We are truly soul mates and I feel blessed to have found such a good man to spend the rest of my life with. Our life together is a dream come true of a dream I never dared to dream.

Well, there it is!

Make sure to drop by every Monday for the WoW! Magazine Forum. And enjoy WoW! Magazine 24-7 with some of the best stuff written in the 'net. Take from me, you won't want to miss it



No comments: