Friday, December 19, 2008

Climate Crisis = Logic Crisis


Blogpal Larrey Anderson over at American Thinker has a unique take on the global warming catfight that brings things very much into focus, especially when the country is experiencing record low temps...

Al Gore is right! Sort of. The current debate over climate change is over. At least, it is over in terms of a logical and unbiased inquiry.


The debate over "climate change" is no longer a matter of science. In the past forty years, the proponents of "climate change" have written and rewritten their hypotheses to fit the empirical facts. In logic this is sometimes called "The fallacy of saving the hypothesis." There is no honest discussion when the topic of a debate is constantly controlled, and occasionally altered, by the proponents of one side of the argument. Climate change proponents have been doing this for years.


I distinctly remember the first time I had an argument with someone about "climate change." It was a warm spring day in April of 1975. I was walking across the campus at Harvard headed for lunch. A fellow classmate (we were both juniors) ran up to me. He was really excited. He hollered out:


"Have you heard? The ice age is coming. They've proven it with computer studies at MIT."


"How did they prove that there is an ice age coming with computers?" I asked my friend.


"The planet is getting colder. They have the data. And it is going to keep getting colder. They have these computer models --"


I stopped him right there. I knew enough about computers to understand that they were not up to accurately predicting short-term weather patterns -- let alone an ice age.


"No way. Computers aren't that powerful. "


"But they have the data and they have computers!"


"I know they do. But computers spit out whatever they are programmed to spit out. Load a computer with the data that the world has been getting colder; ask it what the weather will be tomorrow, and what do you think the computer is going to tell you? The world is getting hotter? If it does you'd better get a better computer. You hungry?" I replied and I continued on my way to lunch.


Read it all here...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember 'GLOBAL COOLING' from the 1960s & 1970s ; the icebergs were supposed to be bulldozing through Seattle by this point!