Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Girl Contracts Brain Eating Amoeba After Swimming At Water Park


Now this is scary.

A 12-year-old girl contracted parasitic meningitis, a rare and deadly disease caused by a brain-eating amoeba after swimming at a local water park.

It's an extremely rare disease caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri and is typically found in freshwater ponds or lakes or in soil. It enters the human body through the nose, where it then moves to the brain, where it feats on brain tissue. Parasitic meningitis is usually fatal. This is the first known case of the disease in years.

Kali Hardig was rushed to the hospital after  spending the day swimming at Willow Springs Water Park in Arkansas, a lake with a natural, sandy bottom.

According to what her mother told the local Christian Post, she couldn't get Kali's fever down and she was in tremendous pain and vomiting. Doctors have put Kali into a medically induced coma in order to stabilize her condition.

The Arkansas Department of Health has closed down Willow Springs Water Park until further notice.

No comments: